The Faculty of Law – Tradition of Leadership in Legal Education

 

Foundation The Faculty of Law, established in 1808 as part of the University of Belgrade, is one of the largest law faculties in the region, with a long tradition of being in the forefront of the country’s legal education. The faculty has always rallied distinguished scholars and excellent lecturers. Since its founding, it has educated almost 50,000 law graduates, around 1,200 magistri iuris and 830 doctores iuris, as well as hundreds of specialists in various areas. A great many Faculty of Law alumni have become recognized experts and scholars in all branches of law, law professors and high ranking government officials.

All the faculties of law, established subsequently in Serbia (Subotica, Novi Sad, Pristina, Nis, Kragujevac), Montenegro (Podgorica), and in other parts of the former Yugoslavia (Sarajevo, Skoplje) were formed from the University of Belgrade Faculty of Law as a core. There is a large number of professors at the various faculties of law in all the countries of the former Yugoslavia, who had obtained their academic titles at the University of Belgrade Faculty of Law.

At present there are about eight thousand students enrolled in the undergraduate studies at the Faculty of Law, and hundreds more at various levels of post-graduate studies.