The University of Belgrade
is one of the oldest university centres in the region. It was established in the
first half of the XIX century and has a long tradition of the leading
educational institution. The University played a role of Alma mater of all the
universities in Serbia,
Montenegro and Macedonia, as well as in the large part of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Presently, the University of Belgrade
comprises 31 faculties, 8 research institutes and a University library. It
conjugates approximately 2,500 professors and about 78,000 students, a
significant number of which are from the neighbouring countries.
Origins: The roots of higher
education in Serbia go back to 1808 when the Great School
was founded in Belgrade
(during the first Serbian uprising against Ottoman rule).
The institution named Lyceum was established in 1838 in
Kragujevac, and was relocated to
Lyceum grew into the
School in 1863.
In 1905 the first University Act was enacted formaly
establishing the Belgrade University.